Sunday, February 28, 2016

Craft Desk Project - Desk Build - Base Cabinets

I didn't want to just go buy in stock cabinets and build something boring.  I really wanted to integrate some vintage pieces and give it a custom distressed look.  I scoured Craigslist, antique stores and my shed and found most of what I needed.  Some pieces were purchased but most of this project is completely custom made.

I was actually looking for some antique two drawer file cabinets to serve as bases but I came across these sweet solid walnut drawer bases that were from a circa 1890 roll top desk.  A bargain at $35!

The bases needed some work.  I rebuilt all the drawers and repaired the runners.  This was my test piece using Valspar Chaulk Paint and Wax.

Painted all the drawer faces prior to assembly

The look after some distressing

The large heavy bases painted.  Color is called Theater Wrap

Distressed and ready to go!

Bases complete and installed



For the right side base, I used this old oak dresser I have had stored for over 10 years.  I knew I'd use it eventually!


Had to go through it and glue and fix the drawers.

I painted it the same color


And I made the bottom two drawers into one large drawer for file storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment